Tuesday 20 April 2010

Blog 3 Statement of Intent 2 Motion and Movement


Motion Blur and Movement



The second subject I have chosen for this course is motion blur and movement. It's a subject that really fascinates me. Even though an image can be totally blurred there is still a sense mystery and intreague which really adds to the images fascination. I hope to produce a set of images of this type of photography over the coming weeks. I will be taking all of these images within the college studio or may borrow the college potable lights and set up a temp studio in my conservatory. I will be using various slow shutter speeds and different lighting effects to produce the images

I have taken motion blur pictures in the past but have never done any kind of this work in a studio, So I consider this to be a really important learning curve for myself. Using the studio again is expanding my overall knowledge and understanding of using different light sources and intensity's to compose different effects within a photograph

The purpose of the photography for this subject is to broaden my horizons using this type of photography. I intend to research some of the top photographers in the world to help me to gain more knowledge and give me a better understanding of the techniques and equipment used to produce these kind of images

Some of the photogrphers that have given me inspiration for this project are:

Joe Mcnally
???          not finished
???          not finished
???         not finished
          


Shown on this page are some images taken from varoius photographers that have given me some inspiration


















Shown here is an image by Joe Macnally a really excellent studio and portrait photographer. He tends to use motion blur in some of his images. I assume he has used a slow shutter speed to produce this kind of effect. This is a lovely image and this type of photogarphy I would like to emulate


I will be bringing my 19 year Niece Hannah into the studio to model for me she's very easy going girl and quite photogenic. I have a good rapour with Hannah which should make the shooting of the images run a lot quicker and smoother

I will be using a variety of slow shutter speeds to create different types of motion effects. I will be asking my model to dance around the studio in indifferent twirling motions. I want Hannah to wear a variety of flowing colourful clothing which I feel will add to the motion blur effect of my images. I will be shooting my images from all directions icluding the side,rear,front and from above. I want to experiment moving the camera around over long exposures while my model is in motion

Equipment:

The equipment that I will be using for this project will consist of the following:

Cameras:

Canon 7D
Canon 5D (College camera)
Canon 400D DSLR
Fuji F11 Compact Digital
LG Viewty camera phone (brilliant macro camera)


Lenses :

Canon 70-210 F4 zoom lens
Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS USM zoom lens

Velbon tripod

Sony Vaio laptop

Software:

Adobe Phototoshop CS3 for image manipulation
Adobe Elements 7.

Adobe Bridge


Sandisk Compact flash memory cards

Lighting :

I will be using the colleges studio flash heads listed below:

Bowens 1000 and 500 watt lighting unit/flash heads,these will be synced to my camera using a radio remote trigger using a transmitter mounted on my camera body and various receivers mounted onto the flash heads of the lighting system.

I hope to experiment using harsh lighting and soft ambient light to see what effects I can achieve

I intend to experiment with different light sources and intensity's using various studio lighting aids,such as,snoot's, barn door's, soft boxes and relectors
I intend to light my subject from varoius positions and angles to create various effects


Health and Safety

There are a certain amount of health and safety considerations to take in to account when using a photographic studio



1-Trip Hazards
There are various trip hazards in and around the studio,these include:

2-Tripods and lighting stands:
These are very easy to trip over and which cannot be seen easily in a darkened room. Some have long booms with large counter weights on their ends. Be careful not to bang you heads and be weary of low positioned lighting heads


3-Trailing power cables,
leads and extension blocks: Again easy to trip over and carrying very high voltages.Tape cables to the floor where possible with warning or hazard tape


4-High voltage Flash and lighting heads:
These units which produce the lighting in the studio can become extremely hot due to there high power outputs. The side casings of these units can become very hot, handle them with care. Do not hang or drape coats, shirts etc over lighting/flash heads. This could overheat the lighting and produce a fire risk


5-Strobe lighting and flash:
Be sure to warn people accompanying you into the studio that there may be a risk that the flashing lighting in the studio may trigger of epileptic fits


6-Water and liquids:
Be extremely careful if using liquids and water within a photographic studio. Liquids and high voltage electricity don't mix. Always use dry hands when using any electrical equipment within the studio



7 Fire Extinquishers
Make sure you know the location of the fire extinguishers within the room. Make sue you know the right kind of extinguisher to use on a fire. There are different extinguishers for different kinds of fires


8-Telephones:
Make sure you have acess to a telephone or mobile phone while using the studio. Sometimes the studio door may be locked or restricted for people entering the studio while a shoot is taking place. If an accident was to occur the use of a telephone is essential. Always notify people that you are using the studio

















No comments:

Post a Comment